That’s a question that I find myself asking often this past week. I’d lay in bed and my mind would just start racing. Filled with hopeful thoughts and then horrifying thoughts. I’ve never felt so excited and terrified at the same time!
This past March, I heard an ad for Actors, Models and Talent for Christ on Pandora. Something inside of me perked up during the ad. “I should look into this.” I did… and found out that the audition was only a few weeks away.
At the beginning of 2015, I felt God was encouraging me to start singing more. I’ve been doing a poor job of managing that gift. I don’t always feel adequate with it. I’m not the greatest at it, but nonetheless it’s a gift that he saw fit that I should steward. I don’t want to get to the end of my life, see Him, and tell Him I didn’t steward it the best way I could have.
So, I decided to take a step of faith, though I felt way out of my league, and audition. I auditioned for the director of the organization, and when she sat down to talk with me she said so many things that resonated deep within me. I got the call back and now here I am…3 months later on my way to SHINE.
SHINE is a week long convention where I will be performing in 11 showcases in front of national movie and commercial agents, A&Rs, and scouts. Three of the showcases are for singing, six are for acting (it’s something that’s really fun for me) and two are for commercial modeling.
At times I feel like I’ve bitten off more than I can chew, and I wonder if I’ll even get any callbacks, but I’m trusting God 100% in this. I’ve never done anything like this before. I want to learn, have fun, represent Christ, and meet other liked-minded Believers. I know that I’m trying my best, and I’m gonna leave the rest in God’s hands.
If I ever have the responsibility of having a public platform, I want to continue doing what I’ve been doing so far…being a voice for the voiceless and bringing the hope of a loving Father to a world that is getting darker and darker.
I’m 31 and this dream of singing seems to have been a juvenile thing…but I think of the great heroes of faith and how old so many of them were and how they’ve impacted the world for God. This brings me hope.
Would you consider checking out my website http://www.bethsaidamusic.com? I’ll also be vlogging the SHINE experience at http://www.facebook.com/bethsaida music. More than anything, I covet your prayers. Thanks for following along!
What talent or dream do you have? Don’t let any feelings of inadequacy stop you! Take those steps of faith that you need to take. We only live once. Let’s take ahold of everything that God has taken ahold of us for.
P.S. I want to shout out some people who have been such a blessing and truly instrumental in helping with this SHINE event.
- Aaron Taylor- even though it was going to thunderstorm, he still came out and took some amazing photos with a smile on his face and determination in his heart. Even though he has a newborn at home, still stayed up at crazy hours of the night to edit the photos to meet the deadline. Thank you
- Damon Plant- was so gracious in working with my budget to film, edit and create videos for the first time I’ve sung in two years. Being such a great sport and using his creative shots to make me look good. Thank you
- Wildy Martinez & Kathleen Ellie – who were so kind in responding to my random outfit selfies for the showcases, and giving such great fashion advice. Thank you
- Sam Ortiz- who shot some beautiful headshots for the SHINE program book so that I’m not the only one with a cheesy profile pic. Thank you
- Raquel Rodriguez- for making my makeup for the headshots look so beautifully natural. Thank you
- Eva – for making crop marks on my resume and giving me tips on how it can fit perfectly into my headshots. Thank you
- My parents- for all their help and encouragement throughout the years. For always being my biggest fans. Thank you
- Melisa and Sam – for giving me a car to get everywhere I need to get to in Florida, and always being there to pick me up at the airport with a smile and their crew in tow. Mel, for the staying up till midnight picking out clothes. Thank you
- To everyone who has given me a word of encouragement or prayed for me. It means so much to me. You have no idea. Thank you
- Victor- for being my support throughout this entire process. For believing in me and encouraging me when I feel like I can’t do it. For being there for me in Florida to wait on lines, wait for showcases, keep me rooted in truth, and root me on. I love you. Thank you.